Wednesday, September 12, 2012

German Muscle

Yes, this post is about another German sports car, but it's not a BMW so you can keep reading.  Last week, my friends at eCarOne gave me a 2012 Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe.... that's a long title but the "Coupe" is important to know because this is new for 2012 and it's extremely rare to find one, especially a used one.  Although with only 2,500 miles on the odometer, you can hardly call this one used.  First, let me say that this has to be one of the best looking four-seat cars Mercedes has every built.  Of course, the SL, SLR, and SLS are beautiful roadsters but the C Coupe is one of the sexiest 4-seat Mercedes to ever hit the road.

Everything about this car is inviting.  The front of the car means business, the wheels, brakes, and even the stance make a subtle statement that this car is special.  Even the sunroof retracts to the outside similar to a panoramic but in a single piece.  The back of the car is menacing with huge quad exhaust pipes and a very tasteful lip spoiler.  I love the way this car looks.

And the interior is even better!  The seats are nothing short of spectacular... not only do they look fantastic with the Alcantara inserts and heavy bolsters, but they are extremely comfortable.  They are so comfortable that you forget you're sitting down.  Let me explain.... you know you're in comfort when you are no longer aware of the seat that's surrounding you... it's like you're sitting on air.  I have an extremely sensitive back and if I'm not sitting just right, I start to get back aches.  Not this time, I loved this seat.  Additionally, all the controls are in the right place and even the center console is on the same level as the elbow pad on the driver's door so you can rest both elbows and still maintain a very even driving position with your hands at 3 and 9 or if you want to be lazy; at 4 and 8.

Then you take notice of the steering wheel... it's a work of art... perfect diameter, perfect thickness, perfect shape... yes I'm still talking about the steering wheel... stay focused!  The sound system is excellent, the NAV is easy to manipulate and the rest of the controls are intuitive.  Very rarely does a car impress me from both the outside and inside the cabin but this one did... two thumbs up for exterior and interior design.

Now let's talk about the fun stuff... we're not talking a regular sports car here.... this is a super sports car with a 6.3L V8 pumping out 450+ HP, rocketing to 60mph in less than 4 seconds, to 100mph in less than 10 seconds and blasting through the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds.  We're talking Lamborghini numbers... with two extra seats, a four year 50,000 mile warranty, a Navigation, and a fully automatic grocery getting transmission!  And if you want to be noticed, hit the throttle and listen to the beautiful harmony of the exhaust note... it is pure muscle car.  I wish I could post a sound clip but it would not do it justice... you have to listen to it yourself.  It's so addicting that I found myself punching it off the line just to hear the exhaust or putting the car in manual mode to get the revs a little higher.  But even with the revs low, there's still a beautiful rumble that made me smile every time I heard it.

The engineers at MB also read my mind and gave the user a mode selector... Comfort, Sport, and Manual. I kept it in "Sport".  The shifts become more pronounced and the gear is held to a higher rpm.  Also, you can hear the downshifts and the blip of the throttle.  Additionally, there is a more noticeable exhaust rumble when downshifting and it is oh so satisfying!

The evening I returned this car to eCarOne, the founder was telling some of our friends about my writing a blog for eCarOne and of courseI was asked by one of them which was my favorite car.  My gut reaction answer was the C63 I just drove.  I may be crossing over from BMW territory and joining the AMG bandwagon... I really and truly enjoyed this car in every way.

As for a pro and con wrap-up.  The pros are clearly stated above and in a nutshell, it's everything you want in a sports coupe and then some.  As for cons, maybe a bit more rear legroom but truly that's all I can think of.

Do yourself a favor and even if you're not shopping for a car... go see this one, sit in it and listen to it if you can.  It's a magical experience and if you're a car fan you know exactly what I'm talking about.  If you're not a car fan but happen to be reading this post, then you may become one after seeing this C63 AMG.

Thank you for reading and happy driving.




No comments:

Post a Comment